Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Silly Emotions

Last night my parents took my daughters and me out to dinner to celebrate their first full day of First Grade. I'll talk about that experience and update on my daughters in a future post. We went to the Spaghetti Factory at Trolley Square, because that's Emilie and Alexa's favorite restaurant.

We sat down, and I noticed a familiar woman sitting two tables in front of us. I leaned over to my mom and said "Is that Char Peters (fake name)?" She confirmed that it was.

Char Peters is the mother of the first man who ever truly broke my heart. Her son was my first true love. I had broken hearts and lost love before him, but he was the first person who swept me off my feet, and we had a very intense few months, before he broke up with me for a friend of mine whom he later married. I've blogged about this in my past relationships series.

Char and my mother were very good friends, both before and after I dated her son. Naturally, my mom went over to their table to say hello. When they were finished eating, they came over to our table to see my girls and me. While there, she proceeded to give me and update on my ex-boyfriend and his wife. They're still married, it's been 14 years. They have 4 children, and he's been in 13 marathons. She's started her MBA program this fall. Sounds like everything is going fucking fantastic for them.

I don't begrudge them their happiness, not at all. I've moved on in life, and mostly believe that it's a good thing that I didn't get married to him. However, I was stunned that seeing his parents and talking to them brought back so many emotions and feelings. I'm supposed to be non-plussed by that, aren't I? I mean it's been 14 years. I'm an entirely different person than I was back then.

I'm trying to imagine what Char and her husband will say to her son and his wife about seeing me. I provided no update to them about my life, I just smiled, introduced my daughters, and told them that it was nice to see them again. At least I looked great.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, those first ones NEVER become non-plus-able. Alas, I wish they did. It stirs up all kinds of messy life thoughts, IMO. Glad you looked awesome, though. :-)

- wry

ruadamu2 said...

He is probably TBM so it is definitely a good thing it didn't work out. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Monroe said...

Two things popped to mind. One, that was a huge deal in your life. You are going to feel those things when something like that situation comes up. But you are different (the better than you've ever been in you life, got it together, hip chick) than you were back then. This doesn't haunt you on a daily basis. You handled the situation and let it slide on by. You did great.

Two, you didn't look great.......... you looked GORGEOUS................but you knew that.

Jennifer said...

Gah, my first fiance still plagues my thoughts over 13 years later. And not in a good way. Though it's much, much less frequent now.

And I don't look as gorgeous as you either.

Nope. said...

Oh, so many rants can be left on the lingering effects, much like the stench of gym socks, of exes.

I'll just offer you the consolation that there's a very high chance of marathon eating monsters in the future.