Tuesday, June 05, 2007

If it didn't happen before "I Love You", then it didn't happen.


So says Carrie Bradshaw from Sex and the City.


I have become a newfound fan of Sex and the City. When it was in its regular run, I didn't have HBO, and was annoyed by Sarah Jessica Parker's public persona. The desire to watch the show wasn't there. Then the show started airing on TBS. So very curious, I decided to watch. Immediately, I was hooked!


This is a great show! I've only ever caught it on TBS or when I did a free trial of HBO last winter and watched a few episodes "On Demand". I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE this show! I need to break down and buy the series on DVD. There is so much wisdom! I could have titled this post "Anything I Need to Know, I learned from Sex and the City". A few of my favorite quotes!: (There are others!)


Carrie: Later that day I got to thinking about relationships. There are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar, those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you back. But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous.



Carrie: That's the thing about needs. Sometimes when you get them met, you don't need them anymore.



Mr. Big: after a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh.



Duncan: I'm just one of those weird male aberrations who prefers to be married. I like stability, I like routine. I like knowing there's people waiting for me at home. I guess that makes me sound pretty dull.
Miranda: Are you kidding? You're the heterosexual holy grail.



Charlotte: I have never done a number two at a boyfriend's place.
Samantha: Honey, you're so uptight, you need to do a number seven.


Carrie: I'm looking for love. Real love. Ridiculous, inconvenient, consuming, can't-live-without-each-other love. And I don't think that love is here in this expensive suite in this lovely hotel in Paris.


Carrie: You shouldn't have to sacrifice who you are just because somebody else has a problem with it.



I could go on. I love the writing, the acting, the directing, and most of all, the location. How I wish I had friends like that, scenarios like that, living in a city like that. For now, I live vicariously through them. I had a friend ask me who I relate to the most. The answer? Everyone, on some level.


Miranda: I have an intellectual woman inside of me. Also, some great maternal insticts.


Samantha: What woman doesn't have a sex goddess inside of her? Not this one, anyway.


Carrie: She has amazing insight into her single and lovelife. Talented writer. Secure, confident. Is able to get together with some of the most amazing men. I feel like when she says or feels things, I'm right there with her. I know, sweetheart. I know.


Charlotte: The woman I relate to the most. I didn't want to like her at first because this actress was evil on Melrose Place. However, despite the physical similarites of long, straight dark hair, I love her assertiveness with men. She never loses her identity, despite being head over heals in love. She has scruples, yet is highly sexual.


PS- My BFF Shiree reminds me of Samantha, in looks and oozing sexuality. I'm just sayin'....!

9 comments:

Lemon Blossom said...

I looove Sex and the City! I feel I learned a lot as well. I just finished watching the last episode and am sad that there aren't any more. *sniffle* I definitely think you should get the DVDs. I rented them from Netflix and am glad I did. In fact, I still have the last DVD in my laptop. Maybe I should watch it again...

By the way, if you watch the last couple of episodes on TBS you'll miss out on a lot. They are 45 minutes long and they cut them to about 20 minutes. So at the end you're like, "huh? Ok. I guess that's it." Much better to watch the whole thing.

Anyway, I'm babbling now. I just wanted to say, I agree!

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie - SaTC is my favorite of all time. I've watched all six seasons approximately 17 times. While I was recuperating in hospital, my lovely spouse brought me a portable DVD player and...SaTC and I watched all six seasons yet again. I lovelovelove it. And yes, it's full of quotable, loveable, wise-able quotes.

So glad you've joined us girls! If you decide to invest in the entire set of DVDs, you will not think it a waste of money. :-)

XOXO

Anonymous said...

Christy, you'll have to come visit me again. There's a restaurant in my neighborhood where they filmed for one of the episodes. We can put on fabulous clothes and go eat there and make believe. ;)

Sister Mary Lisa said...

I have only seen a few episodes, but they were memorable. I laughed hard at the one where Samantha dyed her pubes orange accidentally, because she had found a grey hair.

Priceless.

Oh, and the one where she went into the massager shop and proceeded to teach all the customers how each back massager functioned as a vibrator, like a resident expert.

Too fun.

Anonymous said...

Christy! I'm so flattered you compare me to Samantha! You're so funny.

Hey Meg can I come with you and Christy and play make believe too?

Anonymous said...

Frankly, I'm disappointed in you for not discovering this gem many years ago. The ladies should all have an Ab Fab/SITC day!!

Anonymous said...

I was joking about this show the other day with a coworker. We were both amused at the thought of it being on regular cable. "It's a show about fucking," he said, "nothing more; nothing less." I've only seen the HBO version, so I don't know how much they hacked it up for cable. I was surprised that "The Sopranos" translated relatively well to A&E, though it's funny when they call someone a "bloodsucker" or a "cat."

Anonymous said...

Oops, btw, that anonymous is me, using my wife's computer.

Randy P.

JulieAnn said...

Christy
I loved this post--you've made me want to watch SITC now; I tend to rebel against trends, sometimes to my detriment. Your BFF Shiree is an absolute sweetheart--tell her I said so and hope I can meet her again some day.

I wanna party with you chicas again!

xoxoja