Thursday, February 28, 2008

Examining Past Relationships Part V:

One of my co-workers found my blog (with my showing her my blog) and she got hooked on my "Past Relationship" series. She said she felt like she was reading a book, then realized "woah, that's the girl I sit next to at work!" For me, this was a huge compliment.

I've been debating how it is that I want to proceed.

After my "perfect RM", I felt broken. Insecure. Unworthy. I went to a party at the end of my freshman year, at a friends house. This guy named Andrew Butcher arrived with a girl I went to high school with. He and I met eyes, and flirted immediately. When it was time for her to go home, he told her to go ahead, he'd call her the next day.

He left with me.

Hehe.

Get your minds out of the gutter. We were mormons, 19. We ended up riding home in the same back seat together, cuddling and singing Madonna and Depeche Mode songs to the drivers stereo. Andrew and I had a few more dates after that. He took me on my CHEAPEST date ever. But he was a good kisser, so I forgave him.

Soon he left on his mission, and my Sophomore year of college started. Thus started a dry spell. I didn't date much. I was more involved with my roommates, friends, school, etc.

One of my roommates (affectionately known on my blog at "Patsy") set me up with her boyfriends best friend, Dan. Had we not been mormon, he and I would have had a lot, lot more fun. As it stands, we had some naughty fun for a couple of months, and it soon ended. Minimal heartbreak involved here, but more sexual experience than I'd had. Ever. Over 10 years later, I can say "no regrets". It was fun.

At this point, I knew that my future husband, Jer, was interested in me, but I was still so. young. He was even younger. I knew there was something amazing about him.

Here is where I hesitate. I don't want to go into details of this relationship. We were married for 9 years. He's a wonderful human being, and we're linked for life, thanks to our amazing daughters. I am lucky to have such a co-parent. I will say that the influence of the mormon church contributed to this not working out long term. We were married too young, and unaware.

My first relationship after him? That's next.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm certainly waiting for the next instalment... :-D

Emilie said...

Me too! I love living these moments through with you...again! Sadly, from here on out it will all be new news to me! We need to be in better touch, hang out and stuff. I love reading your blog!

Ems