Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Words are flowing out Like endless rain into a paper cup

"They slither while they pass, They slip away across the Universe"
~John Lennon and Paul McCartney, Across The Universe

He asked me "Would you like a sack for your trippy movie and trippy music?"
"Yes, please. Perhaps it's trippy, but it's genious" I replied.

I've not kept up on movies like I used to, but I remember reading about the concept of "Across The Universe" a few years ago. A movie set in the 60's, the story being told through Beatles music. All Beatles music, throughout the whole movie. This was going to be a must see for me. Fast forward to last week, I see commercials for the DVD release. I didn't realize this was ever actually made and put into the theaters, let alone being nominated for a Golden Globe and Oscar for best picture!

Taking a risk, yesterday I bought the DVD and soundtrack. I figured it was a safe bet, I love The Beatles, I love movies, how could it not be great?

It was.SO.Great!!! This was one of those movies that really hooked me. I haven't been able to stop thinking about it today. It ranks up there with Moulin Rouge for me, one of my all time favorite movies. It was beautiful and amazing.

Is it trippy? A little, but only in pure Beatles fashion. Plus my man Bono has a great part and sings "I am the Walrus" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds".

The following picture was on the back of the inside of the jewel case that came with the CD's. From what I've been able to find out, it was drawn by Jude. I find it stunning, simple, and full of so much meaning:

1 comment:

Sideon said...

Thanks for the head's up about this movie - I completely missed it as well.

Bono singing "I Am the Walrus"? I am jazzed!