Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Great and Dreadful Day

For nearly 6 years I've been looking forward to this day. I remember hearing and seeing other moms talk about how this day brought them heartache and sadness, and I thought they were silly. There has to be everything in the world to look forward to on this day. This day marks the entry into freedom, growth, space, and overall happiness. Those other moms were just saying it made them sad, to make them feel like a better mom.

Then, it happened to me. What is it, you ask? Today, I began the process of registering my daughters.... for Kindergarten.

*sigh*

For the most part, I am happy and not sad. I've always been a working mom and have had guilt over the fact that I'm not at home with them each and every day. On the other hand, I selfishly love my independance and freedom while I work, and love being "Christy" for 8 hours every day. However, there is not a minute that passes, where I don't think about my blonde haired, blue eyed beauties. One of my daughters, Alexa, asked me once what I do when I get sad and miss them. I told her that I have pictures of them all over my walls at work, so when I get sad I can just look at them, think about how cute they are and how much I love them, and get happy. Then, she asked me to give her a picture of me so that she can do the same thing.

These two girls have been the loves of my life. There are times that I get frustrated and lose my patience to embarrassing levels, but I've never know more beautiful, intelligent, funny, sweet, kind, and caring individuals. I have seen them stand up for each other "No mom, you are NOT taking her to the doctor to get shots. Take me!" , "It's okay if Alexa gets the last pair of spiderman socks today. I want to see her look cool!" (yes, they love spiderman and love their spiderman socks) , "Emilie, I love how you look when you're running in your sandals and wear capri's". These two angels are best little friends, friendly to others, sensitive, and inclusive. I couldn't ask to know, let alone raise, two better human beings. I am so lucky.

Just today, Emilie told me that she loves me to death and can't even stop hugging me. Alexa told me that she wishes she had a really big bum so that everyone can smell it. We all laughed, giggled, and snuggled.

In two weeks, they will start kindergarten. My perfect girls. They're not going to be the smartest in their class, they're going to be perfectly in the middle. They're going to make lots of new friends and dazzle their teacher(s). There is no doubt that for the rest of their life, they're going to be known as "The Twins". They'll have noteriety and popularity without trying, but I think they'll set a good example of how to be. I didn't ask for twins, I didn't hope for twins, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

I just can't believe how fast time has flown. In another 6 years, they'll almost be 12. Unfathomable. I love my sweethearts more than life itself. I'm so lucky!

Still, selfishly, I am looking forward to kindergarten. Mostly, I can't wait to see how their minds grow!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again! I too dread the day my two leave for kindergarten.

Don said...

Whatever, with you and I as their parents they'll certainly be near the top in smarts.

Regina Filangi said...

I love it when you talk about your girls. They sound and look so adorable. I am sure you are a great mom and I don't think it's selfish of you to want to be Christy for 8 hours a day.

My oldest will be starting Kindergarten in 2 weeks too. I am scared to death. I guess I am one of those moms who dread it. I want to be excited but I am such a freakin worry wart. I don't let her know how scared I am. She is so excited so I try to keep her excited. Hopefully after a coule of days my seperation anxiety will go away.

Anonymous said...

They are certainly very beautiful and darling girls. I think they will be very popular, and I know they're smart. They will kick some kindergarten ass! :-)

Christy said...

Aerin- Thanks! This one of those bittersweet moments, you know?

Jer- ha! Speak for yourself. I agree that with our brains combined they'll do great. I was just going off what my mom said about the kids that already read novels before kindergarten.

Regina- I've missed you girl! So glad to see you back, and a huge CONGRATS from me!!! Do you have pictures yet? I didn't realize we had daughters so close in age, too bad we live across the country from each other!

Wry- Thank you, my friend! "Kick Kindergarten Ass"! I love it!

Regina Filangi said...

Thanks Christy! It's really good to be back.

Go check your PM's on Cherry and I will send you a link to a couple of pictures.

from the ashes said...

My little guy started kindergarten this week! (He'll attend until we leave on our big adventure.) This is his third year of school, but it somehow feels different. He's a big kid now.

JulieAnn said...

I cried when my kids started. IT seems like a hundred years ago....OH it WAS a hundred years ago! I can't believe my middle girl is officially a freshman and my oldest is a Sr, graduating early because she's so damn brilliant. Wow. I'm old...my youngest doesn't start until next year. I can't wait! He needs to get out of the house more (for his own good!)

hm-uk said...

What a lovely tribute to your children! What a brilliant mother you are for realizing that despite not being the smartest that they are perfect just the way they are.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Beautiful tribute to the girls! And I laughed at the comment about kicking some kindergarten ass. Ha!