Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The blogs I read and why I read 'em

Warning: If you don't like gushing, I suggest you turn away now. I thought I would explain why each of these links are on my "Blogs I Read" list. Perhaps you can give some of these the traffic they deserve?

In alphabetical order:

A New Eric Eric is a close personal friend of mine, and one of the reasons why I started blogging in the first place. On his blog he journeys his process of developing into the man he wants to become. His stories are always compelling and well written.

Arizona Expositor At one time a convert to mormonism, now finding his spiritual journey with Judaism.

Belaja I met Belaja on the DAMU now the DAMU nearly two years ago. Belaja has always been a hero of mine. She is a very strong, intelligent, and witty woman who is one of the best writers ever. We bonded over U2 when I found out she attended the famous concert at Sun Devil Stadium in Arizona where parts of Rattle And Hum was filmed, and later she then stole my heart by carrying around a fuck you stick and not being afraid to use it on idiots. Vote for Belaja in 2008!

Darwin's Apostle written by my friend Dr. Ros. Ros is the coolest spaz of a woman who recently completed her PhD and has just started her post doc fellowship at a prestigious university. Damn her aspirations that keep her from blogging more often! (I miss you, Ros! When are we gonna make out?)

Dooce Why wouldn't I read Dooce? First blog I ever started following faithfully. I keep hoping that we're going to meet and she'll realize that I'm the best friend she never had but always wanted. I keep my eyes on the lookout for her when I'm out and about in the city, that's not too stalker-ish, is it?

Equality Time I met Equality over a year ago, also on the DAMU. Equality worships U2 almost as much as I do! His blog is extremely well written and thought provoking. He is a non-believer in mormonism who at this time, chooses to remain a part of the church. I think that if someone were to make positive changes from the inside, he would be the man to do it.

Every Wrong Move AKA Liseysmom. Liseysmom and I used to post on the same LDS parenting message board for years, and found the DAMU and left mormonism at the same time. Two years ago this summer, my husband and I made a trip out to her neck of the woods to do a tour of the east coast. Plus, she and her husband took me to my first strip club! Good times, good times.

Fiddley Gomme AKA Pete Dunn. His blog is full of brutal honesty, charm, and charisma. Pete could quite possibly be the male equivelant of Dooce.

La's Self Discovery Blog La is another close personal friend of mine, and yet another reason why I started blogging. It was easier to stalk her this way. I met La about a year ago, and we hit it off and have been great friends ever since. La's blog chronicles her self discovery, always a great read!

Floating in the Milk also a friend from the DAMU. Her blog talks about her experiences attending church as a non believer but who chooses to stay in to support her husband and family. She is a strong woman with fascinating views and opinions.

From the Ashes even though she lives as far away from me as you can get and still be in the same country, I've had the great pleasure of meeting her twice. We left mormonism at the exact same time and found the DAMU at the exact same time, so it's interesting for me to see our progress. Her blog is among the most well written and thought provoking that I know of. She has a beautiful way of expressing herself in an intelligent, concise manner. Secret fantasy: I would love to share a bottle of wine with her and Dooce and just listen to the conversation that would take place after.

Gluby Gluby is new to the blog world but it feels like he's always been there. He started posting and just fit right in. I love what he has to say and love the commentary he brings to my blog.

Jer Illuminated My husbands blog, why wouldn't I read it? He gives his own account of his exit from mormonism and rants about work.

Just One Of Many AKA Amy. Amy is witty, sassy, and sexy. Plus she started the Bitchin' Bikini Club.

Lemon Blossom AKA Bride of Gluby. She is new to the blogging community, also new in her exit from mormonism. She's starting to take up belly dancing, what's not to love?

Letters From a Broad AKA C.L. Hanson I love love love this blog! This woman has it all- looks, brains, intelligence, AND she gets to live in France. She's got a book coming out that I insist you check out! It's called Exmormon, the novel.

Miranda's Meanderings I've known Miranda cyberly for nearly two years now, also from the DAMU. But not the regular DAMU, but the DAMUU (DisAffected Mormon Underground Underground). Miranda is a stellar example that you can do anything you want to do as long as you put your mind to it. Plus I don't think I've seen her make one grammar mistake, ever.

Post Secret I've got a secret that I can't explain. Who doesn't?


Ramblings of a MattMan Matt's blog talks about the difficulties of being unhappily married to a believing spouse. My heart breaks for the guy, I hope he's able to find happiness soon. His story is captivating.

Ramblings of a SAHM Regina Filangi. She is a true sweetheart, and if we didn't live across the country I'm sure we'd be great friends in real life. Poor girl is having massive computer issues at the moment so she's been an absentee. But I miss her, and not in the relief society kind of way!

Rebecca... and all that Entails HI-LAR-I-OUS!!!!! This girl has more wit in her pinky finger than I have in my entire body. I used to think she hated me, then she started reading my blog and being nice to me so I think she likes me now. At any rate, I love her to pieces and hope to meet her in person soon. She rawks!


Sideon's Sanctuary Sideon is my twin sister trapped in a gay mans body. He is thoughtful and well written, and somehow I feel better knowing that he reads my blog and responds. I've been told before that I'm a gay man trapped in a woman's body, and I believe that is a grand assessment. If he doesn't come out to Utah soon, I'm tempted to crash his place.

Sister Mary Lisa SML is quite possibly the most popular woman in outer bloggness. She makes great efforts to read and respond to everyones blogs, full of support, kindness, and sincerity. She has a way of writing that really takes you into situations and makes you feel like you were there. Her, in and of herself, has made blogging worthwhile. It's a pleasure to know her!

Sum Wun Not new to blogging but new to me! He is close personal friends with Pete Dunn and I can only imagine how fun it would be to be in the same place at the same time as these two. Plus, his writing can be a little on the erotic side and it kinda turns me on.

Tales of the Phoenix Michelle is another IRL friend of mine. She's a nevermo transplant to Utah, but hangs with the ex-mo's. She is gorgeous, funny, and a fabulous cook! She brought me some of her Boston Creme Cupcakes that were out-of-this-world-to-die-for! She met me at my most unglamorous moment but chooses to be my friend anyway, so I love her! :)

Last, but not least....
This, That, and the Other recently changed to Puddle of Nothing (I'll have to change my linky link!). This is Randy. I met Randy at the DAMU (and the DAMUU) a couple of years ago. He is an attorney in New Orleans that chronicles everything from his autistic sons, the cleanup efforts of Hurricane Katrina, TV and movies, and his exit from mormonism. This guy is a real sweetheart and someone I am very glad to know.

*whew*! If you are not on my blog list but would like to be, let me know!

32 comments:

MattMan said...

Great summaries, Christy! I read a lot of the same blogs you do. I wish I had time for more.

I think you really pegged my blog. It's interesting that when I started my blog, the plot you see now wasn't really my intent. I was just in a lot of pain and figured by getting it all out, I'd be able to go back and look at it, and the biggest source(s) of the pain would become apparent. I guess it worked, maybe a little too well.

Oh, and have I mentioned that your pic in the bunny ears is hawt?! :)

Miranda said...

I love you, Christy. I get really excited when I see new posts from you in my Bloglines. I was talking to myself the other night and we decided we wanted to grow up to be just like you.

(Love the DAMUU, it's like the DAMU with extra attitude. "Damn you" "No, Damn YOU!!!")

Sister Mary Lisa said...

I'm sitting here grinning from ear to ear...even if I disagree with the "popular" comment (I always hated the popular kids growing up)...

If you knew me in person (I'm sure we will meet someday, maybe even next time I hit SLC) you'd know that I'm really just a queen nerd wannabe who likes to read and write. And who loves blogging with a passion.

The descriptions of everyone I recognize from your blogroll are awesome. Thanks!

Molly The Mormon said...

I wish you would read my blog. You might learn something.

Ramiumptum,

Molly the Mormon

C. L. Hanson said...

Thanks Christy!!!

I thought I knew all of the exmo/DAMU blogs, but apparently I missed a few. I'll have to check them out and add their links...

Anonymous said...

I read alot of these blogs, too. So many funny and talented writers! (That includes you, Missus!) :-)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, concur. And where's mine? :-)

Just one of many said...

I want your bunny ears...did you get those at the strip club??? *HUGS* You naughty degenerate!!

Anonymous said...

*SPANKS* err... thanks.

Unknown said...

Mwah-HAHAHAHAHA (that's how my evil laugh is spelled)! I ADORE you. And I'm only witty in writing. In real life it's mostly awkward silences.

Your blog is for sure in my Top Ten reads.

Sideon said...

Come crash down here, ANY time. We have the room.

Yours is one of my favorite blogs as well.

Here's to long lost twinners.

-Don

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words, Mrs. B. I enjoy all the same blogs you do plus a few more. I may do a similar post if I get any free time. Not sure how much longer I can work to "change things from the inside." Given what happened to Simeon last Sunday (exed for blogging negative stuff about the Church), I am probably on thin ice. I'm not as anonymous as I'd like to be, so it may just be a matter of time before my hand is forced.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

I'll vouch for Domokun being awesome, even without a blog. Love the comments, Domo. Get a blog. Now. So we can tell you to your face how cool you are.

Michelle said...

This is such an awesome post...love all the descriptions you give. I have to check out some more of your linkeys...

I'm glad you got the cupcakes and liked them!

And hey, you were here...at my house...when I was at MY most unglamorous moment and yet YOU still choose to be MY friend...I guess that just means that we are 2 very awesome women and everyone should want to be with us always! :)

Anonymous said...

-Domokun- can post at Equality Time anytime he wants to. He's just too . . . (what's a nice word for lazy?)

Anonymous said...

I'm with domo....there should be a post here about "responders" and why they are loved.

Randy said...

I feel like Sally Field--you like me; you really, really like me!

Thanks for the compliments. I read many of the same blogs, and I like 'em all. The Internets sure are grand.

Randy said...

Oh yeah, and you and Jer are sweethearts too. We may be in Utah in mid-March, btw. I'll keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

Mrs. B., Mrs. B., Mrs. B..... (which is how I first learned to love you). Thanks for all your kind words, for you and Jer introducing me to the DAMUU (I'm with Bard--I love the extra U) and also, since then, to all these cool blogs (many of which I found through your blogroll) that I am now priveleged to be reading. Also, for inviting me to the War on Jello, even though my mental health issues would not permit me to attend.

The fuck-you stick is ALWAYS at your disposal. You just have to show forth increased love after using it on someone (NOT).

Sumwun said...

Awe Christy, that was very sweet of you. I am just doing the lord's work. You know the work of selflessly turning on my interweb peers. 8=)\|/

Lemon Blossom said...

Shimmy, shimmy, everybody! Maybe I'll start a class for the Bitchin Bikini Club so we can really wow the men on the beach when we saunter sensuously on by. *eyesbrows wiggling up and down naughtily*

Thanks, Christy!

Anonymous said...

Christy - I've been reading your blog linked from chanson's. I'm also the mom of twins and an exmo. I'm not sure how much I'll write about being an exmo though.

I enjoy your reading your thoughts - you're welcome over on my blog any time.

Sumwun said...

HEY Christy,
I was browsing comments threads on your blog from earlier posts of yours.
I just noticed this:
Christy said...
sumwun- great, so when are you going to ask me out? ;-)

I am soooo fully neglectful. I would love to ask you out because you are witty, smart cool and hot. I already turn you on, which is a promising fact to say the least.

So, let's plan a date.
I'll need to get plane tickets.
And I should probably set your husband up with some chick to distract him for a while...
Then... we'll have coffee and go to a play or something!

Are all my assumptions pretty much on track here?

Ros said...

Thanks for the kick in the butt. I have a new post!

I will make out with you anytime anyplace.

ps: I owe you six odd things about me.

Bishop Rick said...

Can I watch?

Thunderchops said...

This reminds me. I have to start posting random shit again.

Christy said...

Thanks everyone! Too many comments to respond to each one right now (I aint complaining, keep responding!) But I added those of you not already on my blog list to it.

SumWun, just name the time and place, baby! ;-)

Sumwun said...

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I added an email address to my "View my complete profile". Cough. Ahem.

Sumwun said...

Not to put too fine a point on it, but I added an email address to my "View my complete profile". Cough. Ahem.

Sumwun said...

Oops I posted twice....DAMN 3 times now. What the? I broke the interweb.

Christy said...

Point taken, Sum Wun. Check your email in a few! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Amateur Privat Girls

Sex flatrate

amateurs sex