Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Yup, it rules to be me.

A lot of people think I'm silly for living in Utah, especially considering that I'm ex-mormon. I think living in Utah had huge benefits when we left the church. Where there is a higher concentration of mormons, there will be a higher concentration of ex-mormons. Never in my life have I known more genuine, intelligent, not to mention good-looking people. Oh yeah, that's something else I've thought about- I think that only the really good looking and smart people leave the church. At least, it seems like all of the ex-mo's that I know are such.

Wait, what is it about being me that rules? Oh, that's right! So not only do I know all of the really cool local ex-mo's, but I've had the great privilege of meeting several from out of state. Coincidentally, many of them have family here that they visit during the holidays and they need some sanity or reality breaks, a service that I am happy to provide!

Last friday I got to go to dinner with the very lovely Meg Slate (from the DAMU) and her husband Jack. You may remember my gushing over Meg Slate from my recent business trip to New York. We ate fabulous indian food and drank lots of wine, and had incredible conversation. Meg and Jack, thanks for making the time for us! And thanks for the Max Brenner chocolates! I'm doing my best to eat them slowly and savor each bite.

Tonight it was my honor to dine with From The Ashes. This was my second time meeting her, I met her and her husband and son when they visited family in Utah a year ago. I've always felt a special kinship with her because she left the church at the same time I did, and she's been able to express some of my innermost thoughts as they are so inline with hers. Thanks for the dinner invite FTA! We also met with Abner and Mrs. Doon (from the DAMU), they are adorable and fascinating to talk to.

I think it's safe to say that I get to meet the coolest people. They all just come to me. Who's next??

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

Well, I'll be there in March, although probably only for a day. I'm coming to see my friend's play, which is being done at BYU. It totally has nothing to do with Mormonism, and is also just COMPLETELY amazing (has to be, since it beat out mine, right? :) ). I highly recommend it. You should come to Provo and see her play with me. I'm not sure yet which day(s) I'll be there, though.

Sideon said...

We were in town about 36 hours over New Year's. Since it was so impromptu we didn't give anyone fair warning we were even heading into town. I totally want to meet you and other folks of Outer Blogness!

Once we're done with construction at the house here in the East Bay, we'll be ready for big par-tays at our place - yes, that's an invitation!

Ros said...

I'm sure I'll be around at some point. Glad to know I'll have a sanity break.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I know. Every time somebody comes into town...with the exception of "war on jello"....Christy is always the one they call! She is so lucky to be her! I don't know how you people handle NOT living in Utah...especially after you've met Christy! I wouldn't be able to handle it...

But it would be nice to meet all you out of towners next time you're here!

Anonymous said...

Christy, the sanity break you provided was truly a great service. We had a great time with you and Jer.

Next time we're in town (probably next Christmas) perhaps we'll have to broadcast it a little more and meet some more peeps. Shiree, I've heard about your mad drumming skillz. Perhaps we'll have to make a special trip out in June to hear Hank and Shiree jam.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

I'll let you know the next time I visit good ol' Utah too.

Phoebe said...

Dang.

I thought you were talking about me for a sec.

Well, I enjoyed meeting you and Jer when I was dodging my familial responsibilities in Utah. It would be fun to impose on you again.

Christy said...

Rebecca- keep me posted, please? I love plays, but mostly I would just love to meet you. :)

Sideon- shame on you, you need to be spanked. Give me Scott's email addy and I'll let him know! ;-)

Ros- don't you dare dream of visiting Utah without at least a shoutout. I can't wait to meet you, and I know I will sooner rather than later!

Shiree- if you pimped yourself on a blog, they would want to visit you, too! :) I love living so close to you, I still wonder why I didn't know you for the first 30 years of my life!

Meg- I would love to introduce you to the rest of the locals. I think a major lovefest would hapen! :)

SML- you BETTER! I can't wait! :)

Phoebe- darling, I met you a year ago and will never forget that great occasion! Meeting you was everything I hoped and dreamed it would be, I hope to see you again SOON!

Christy said...

how many smiley faces do I need to use? Geez! I'm now on a blogger comments smiley face moratorium. Let me know if I fail.

Lemon Blossom said...

ME, ME, ME! I want to come and visit too! There are so many new people I want to meet now.

Bishop Rick said...

I say that those of us that live in Utah should get together for lunch the 3rd Tuesday of every month, or some stupid thing like that.

We can rotate who chooses where to meet.

from the ashes said...

I certainly enjoyed meeting up with you again, too, Christy! What can I say? You're the coolest, I'm the coolest, win-win situation, right? ;)

No, really, thank you for the break from all my Mormon relatives. I do love them, but I need to get out sometimes.

Sumwun said...

Yah I moved away from Utah a year ago after living there a long time, since I was a youngin. I bet you are really cool, maybe I'll be lucky enough to meet you some day. Though I won't recognize you at first without the ears.