Thursday, January 04, 2007

I'm No Superman

Or Superwoman, for that matter.

Did anyone watch Scrubs tonight? As the nature of Scrubs has been, I laughed throughout the episode and was crying by the end. The writers of this show are Pure.Genious. I could probably write a blog post about each and every episode and how it relates to my life. But that would get boring. Still, I'm going to talk about tonights episode.

Spoilers if you haven't seen it and are planning on watching it! Turn away now!

The main plot of tonights episode "My House" revolved around JD and his pregnant girlfriend Kim. Kim has a job offer in another state that would be fantastic for her career, which lasts for 4 months. So does she stay with her boyfriend (who impregnated her), or does she take the opportunity of a lifetime? JD wants her to stay. He loves her, he wants to be with her while she's carrying his child. He can't move with her. However, he can't tell her "Stay! Don't leave me!" so he acts like the supportive boyfriend and encourages her to go, even though it's killing him inside.

I've been in both sides of this scenario, and it's a tough call. You don't want to be the whiney and clingy partner, but you shouldn't be dishonest about your real feelings. Are we still in a day and age where a person needs to play "hard to get" in order to be desireable? Are humans still seeking after the thrill of the hunt? I don't know. I hated these theories when I was on the dating scene. If you can't be genuine with your potential mate, then what's the point? I don't have the answer to these questions. I would like to think I'm 100% genuine with everyone all the time, but I know that's not true. At least it's something that I'm conscientious about and work towards... that's saying something, right?

Ultimately, Kim takes the job, and JD confesses how he really feels about it, but is still supportive. I think this speaks volumes. Neither is sacrificing who they are or how they're feeling, but there is a mutual satisfaction there.

Which leads me to another point, staying true to yourself and maintaining your identity. Now that I think about it, this subject alone could be it's own blog entry, so I'll save that can of worms for another day.

Almost switching gears entirely but still talking about tonights episode of Scrubs, at the very end, we see Carla lying in bed in the maternity ward holding her baby (who was NOT a newborn but closer to 6 months--- whatEVER!) and crying. This is where I felt the tears. I have already written in length about the shock I felt after having newborn twins. I cried for 36 hours straight. I had 3 months of pure hell before I saw a light at the end of the tunnel. 5 years later, life is normal again, but damn... at the time, I thought that was the end of my world, even though I had been given the greatest of "blessings". I love that they're introducing Carla into the world of post-partum depression. I know that they'll do it in true Scrubs style... it will have an amazing sense of honesty without being too much of a downer. In my opinion, life is too short to be serious all the time.

How did this post get so long? Sorry about that. I *heart* Scrubs, if you didn't already know.

20 comments:

Phoebe said...

Maybe you're good at faking, but I think of you as true to yourself -- both of you.
BTW, why do they put Scrubs and Gray's on the same night? Not fair.

Anonymous said...

I love Scrubs too - I own them all on DVD, that's how I got to know them, never saw them on actual TV first run. So now I've seen all of the first four seasons...waiting for five, which will be a while, I'm sure. But yeah, they're my favorite.

Anonymous said...

I agree phoebe...it's not fair. My first love is Gray's....so I haven't been able to get into anything else that plays on Thursdays.

HOWEVER...I think I have a plan. If I just watch all the NBC shows on the night they are played. Then the next day I can watch "Ugly Betty, and Gray's" on abc's website! Only without comercials...because I don't have any kind of TIVO or anything.

THEN, I could feel pretty cool like everyone else that watches "The Office" and "Scrubs" and whatever else.

Michelle said...

I'm right there with you...I *heart* Scrubs also. They keep it funny, but they also throw in some real-life stuff that always has you thinking at the end of the episode. How it relates to you...which is always seems to.

When it came back on this season I was SUPER pissed at the time slot since I am already watching Grey's and TIVO'ing CSI at the same time. But we have another TIVO upstairs and can watch it up there. We have seasons 1, 2, & 3 on DVD and whenever there are alot of repeats on (which has been the case lately) we usually put one of those in and watch episodes that we've already seen a hundread times already. And they are STILL FUNNY!! One of our all-time favorites quotes was from Bob Kelso...

"Hey Perry, who has two thumbs and doesn't give a crap? Bob Kelso, nice to meet ya!"

SO FUNNY!!

Gluby said...

Well, I haven't ever watched it (and don't really watch TV -- I'm something of a grinch about pop culture and television programming, and all I do is sit there and critique it constantly, driving LB crazy), but I'm with you on the genuineness thing. Bluntness is BETTER than godliness. Authenticity and genuineness are high virtues.

Don said...

I can't believe I didn't see this until just now. Thanks for posting this.

Just one of many said...

I loved to watch scrubs and G. anatomy. My husband who is in that line of work totally ruins it for me...he is always correcting the dosages, the diagnosis, the equipment they use!
But what I really am DYING to see is the season premier of BIG LOVE...Bring on Bitchy Nicky!

Anonymous said...

just one of many....that is my husband and cop shows. He's always saying..."you don't use the siren on a call like that!" or "Why do they have to pull their guns out every damn time?" or "Idiot should've called for back up first" It use to annoy me, but now I think it's kinda cute...

Anonymous said...

Scrubs??? Never watched it. Maybe this will serve as the impetus to do so. The whole postpartum thing is tough, what a rollercoaster.

Christy said...

Phoebe- I know this is blasphemy to admit, but I've never watched Gray's! I know I would love it, no question there-- but I rarely watch TV at all. Thursday nights are the only night any kind of effort is made. Thanks for what you said, it's a huge compliment!

Wry- I remember you saying you got to see Scrubs on DVD! I'm so glad you're a fellow fan!

Domo- that's the thing about scrubs though, almost every episode is "A Very Special Episode" because it's about some intense stuff... but they do it with charm and humor. Life is too short to be taken so seriously all the time, and the Scrubs creators realize that!

Shiree- now THAT sounds like a plan! You must start soon so that we can talk about Earl, Office, and Scrubs!

Michelle! Yay, a fellow fan! I'm not surprised, it seems like your type of humor!

Gluby- I totally agree with you about authenticity and genuineness being high virtues. It's rare to find someone you can take at face value. It does seem like a lot of internet people are that way though, doesn't it? Even though they have ever reason not to be (since you can't see the face behind the screen, so you don't *really* know) somehow it enables people to really be themselves. It's amazing. I don't watch TV much myself, but Scrubs is the one show I'll make arrangments to not miss.

Jer- you're welcome.

JOOM (and Shiree)- my oldest sisters husband used to be a fighter pilot. When Top Gun came out (I was in 6th grade!) I thought it was so cool to have a brother in law who was just like Tom Cruise! So when I was all excited to talk to him about it, he dashed all of my hopes and dreams by telling me how stupid and unrealistic that movie was. How rude! And JOOM- YES! Bring it on, Nicky! I can't wait to see what happens next!

AzEx- you should try an episode or two of Scrubs. If you lived closer, I'd loan you my DVD's. Postpartum depression sucked, I'm just glad I recognized the signs and was able to get help right away.

Lemon Blossom said...

Christy - unlike Gluby, I have seen scrubs, but only a few times. I enjoyed when I saw it, but I don't watch anything regularly so I never remember when it's on. I'll have to check it out more often!

Randy said...

Scrubs and the Office are on the same level of comic excellence as Arrested Development. Scrubs is superb at incorporating serious issues into its usually comic format. The effect of the death of Brendan Fraser's character on Dr. Cox was an outstanding example of that. I haven't seen any of the current season, as the show conflicts with DW's favorite show, CSI (the Vegas version of it that's still pretty good).

Michelle said...

Randy...you are so right. The only CSI that is still worth watching is the original! We love that show and always watch the re-runs on the Spike channel. They often have marathons of it too...

Randy said...

Michelle--CSI New York isn't too bad, but it's not up to the level of the original. CSI Miami is full of cute people, but the show is unwatchable. Showtime's Miami-based Dexter is a much better variation on the same theme, and you get a serial killer CSI-type person to boot. Heck, if I just wanted to look at beautiful people, I'd break out a tube of KY, turn on NBC's Las Vegas, and put it on mute.

Michelle said...

LMAO Randy. We also watch CSI:NY sometimes, but you are right...not up to the original. CSI:Miami just pisses me off. I lived just north of Miami in Ft Lauderdale for a long time. Nobody can look that good all the time in that heat...it's just not realistic to NOT see sweat stains on those high fashion clothes they insist on dressing them in.

Ok, I'm done...

Christy said...

Lemon Blossom- it's on Thursday nights on NBC after My Name is Earl and The Office. I suggest giving it a try. It's full of moments of humor and great wisdom. Seriously, I get more meaning from an episode of Scrubs than I ever did in Sacrament Meeting!

Randy- Yes Yes Yes!! The storly line with Brendan Fraser is what hooked me on that show. I had newborn twins before that and didn't bother with TV at all, but watched just to see my longtime crush of Brendan. Those episodes were simply amazing. Even moreso now that I've got back and re-watched it all in order and see the development of Dr. Cox.

BTW, Randy, meet Michelle. Michelle, meet Randy! I've known Randy online for about 2 years, and I just met Michelle in person last September, but have partied with her ever since!

Randy said...

Incidentally, I posted a youtube copy of one of Dr. Cox's classic tirades on my blog the other day. Great stuff.

My wife has a long-standing crush on Brendan Fraser. One Christmas, when we were at her parents' house, I bought her a copy of "George of the Jungle" just for shits and giggles. They're one of those families where everyone has to take a turn opening gifts and show the gifts to everybody else in the room. You get the picture.

Michelle said...

LOL...sorry to take over the conversation there Christy. Thanks for the intro...nice to meet you Randy! I took a look at your blog and saw that Dr. Cox rant you posted...classic!

I also really loved the Brendan Fraser episodes. So sad, but so great!

Randy said...

Hi, Michelle.

Last night, my wife cried, then shouted like she was at a revival meeting when Carla's post-partum depression manifested, then again when Carla and Jordan discussed the issue honestly. They were basically telling her story.

Christy said...

Randy... this is why Scrubs is so perfect. They realistically and honestly portray a serious real life situation without taking it so seriously. Perfection. I'm sure last nights episode validated so many women who suffer from PPD.