Tuesday, July 08, 2008

@*#$&#$*&!!!

Just Fuck.

I've not had a lot of things go my way lately. I don't have a lot to be happy about. I'm doing my best to keep my chin up and keep going up, but I've gotta say, sometimes the world can really suck.

I've lived in a hole of an apartment since March 2007. My lease is up this month. I've advised that I'm out at the end of the month, and my search for a new place has begun.

I found the perfect place. It was perfect! It was new, it was safe and secure, and it was in my budget. When I toured the place, I found that there were 5 others interested. The lady giving the showing was obviously TBM, and didn't have a lot of time for me. I wore khaki capri's, and a black shirt. The shirt wasn't entirely garment friendly. I wore sandals as well, so my ankle tattoo was visible.

I found out that 5 other people were interested. When I submitted my application, I submitted a cover letter in which I noted that I've worked for the same company for 12 years, and am in a secure leadership position. I have 6 year old twins that I envision raising in such a safe environment. Plus I'm clean, quiet, considerate.

Tonight I got a phone call from the woman that they've rented the condo to someone else.

Fuck.

So, I tell her "I'm eagerly looking to rent. Can you please provide constructive feedback as to why I didn't get the apartment over others?" She made some reference as to her husband reviewing the applicants and calling the references, when I said "None of my references were called" Her reply was "Well we didn't call YOUR references" "Why Not?" I asked. "The other guy just looked better on paper."

"How so?" I asked. "Is it because I'm a single mother?" "No," she said, "We've rented to a single father for the past year."

I replied "Sure. But single men have the advantage over single women. Please tell me, how did the other look better on paper? I'm eagerly looking for a place to live, and am looking for specific feedback. If you're uncomfortable giving it, please refer me to your husband."

"Oh, I'm not uncomfortable with giving feedback. He looked better on paper because he said he was planning on staying in the city for the next 3 years..."

I cut her off. "My coverletter stated that I've had the same employer for 12 years, and in no danger of losing my job!"

"Oh, uh, well....," she stammared.

I told her that I found them to be sexist and unfair. Clearly, they didn't even look at the applications before deciding. It matters not, I have no recourse. Had they said that the other person had a higher income, or if they truly checked my credit or references, I would feel at peace. Not the case!

I make too much to qualify for lower income housing, but not enought for a good, secure place to raise my daughters.

I'm fuckin' screwed. I need a fuckin' break.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It certainly sounds like you caught the lady off guard. I wonder if anyone has ever asked her those kinds of questions.

Obviously, you're at the mercy of the landlord's preferences. It's too bad they didn't have enough sense to come up with a good lie as to why they were biased against you.

What sad people. I feel like calling them and asking if their bias is hanging out.

Hang in there!

minijonb said...

i don't know i there is a Better Biz B. or something that can take these people to task for their shenanigans or not.

anyway, keep looking. you'll find a better place than that one for sure.

donangelo said...

I pray all is well christy,

And that you would just keep the faith in Christ Jesus.

Because I am sure that our God the great God of Israel has something better lined up for you.

That is going to save you money and also be a huge blessing to you.

Because God knows best.

Because we know that all things work together for good,for those who love God,who are called according to his purpose. romans 8:28
And I pray that God would continue to bless you christy and may he continue to give you council and guidance to make the right decisions.

ruadamu2 said...

We can all use a fuckin' break.
I challenge anyone to come up with a better way to spend one's break.

My sympathies for your plight.
Good Luck.

JJ said...

damn it.... I hate landlords..... I'm still waiting for my deposit check. Good luck. if there is anything I can do, let me know. I will do whatever I can for you! ps we all need to go to dinner or something( me, you, E, and whoever else) heheh


;)

Anonymous said...

If they were dicks about the application process, they would have been holy-fucking-terrors as landlords.

Good luck in your search!

Anonymous said...

Sideon makes the exact point I was thinking as I read this. Be glad the true colours came through before they were in your face day in and day out. Hang in there, you'll find something, you totally will.

Also, good on you for standing up for yourself and calling that BS for what it was.