Monday, July 21, 2008

I know Shakespeare is a dead white guy, but he knows his shit!

I love Shakespeare. LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Shakespeare. William Shakespeare had a way with words, bar none to anyone else. Most importantly, no one can throw an insult like Shakespeare. While I love some of the modern day adaptations, I'm pretty much a purist. I don't need his words "Dumbed Down" for me. I take sincere pleasure in his lacy, frilly bitterness.

Some of my favorite Shakespeare insults:

Your bum is the greatest thing about you; so that in the beastliest sense, you are Pompey the Great.

Would thou wert clean enough to spit upon!

Out of my sight! Thou dost infect my eyes.

Drop into the rotten mouth of death.

Confusion now hath made his masterpiece!

Thou art a wretch whose natural gifts were poor.

Thy kiss is comfortless as frozen water to a starved snake.

Come, you are a tedious fool. To the purpose.

Thou art unfit for any place but hell.

There is one modern day adaptation that I adore, on so many levels. This is the movie, "10 Things I Hate About You". This movie rocked my world from my first viewing of it. I've been told by many people, from different aspects of my life, that Julia Stiles character reminds them of me. I can't deny it-- I watch this movie and see myself, both in looks and attitude.



I won't explain why. Just watch the movie. :) 10 Things I Hate About You is an adaptation of "Taming of the Shrew".

"Just because you're beautiful, doesn't mean you can treat people like they don't matter!"

"Have you always been this selfish?"

"Remove head from sphincter, THEN drive!"

"Has the fact that you're completely psycho managed to escape your attention?"

"Don't, for one minute, think that you had any effect whatsoever on my panties."

"'Heinous bitch' is the term used most often."

"Why can't you be NORMAL?!?!"

"Where did you come from? Planet "Loser"?

"Expressing my opinion is not a terrorist action."

"Someday, you gonna get bitch-slapped and I'm not gonna do a thing to stop it."

"What is it, Asshole Day?"

I confess, I watched this movie tonight, not just for Shakesperean adaptation greatness, but out of memory of Heath Ledger. This was the first movie I noticed him in, and have loved him since. His passing shocked me and saddened me greatly. He was phenominal in everything he's done. No, I haven't seen "The Dark Knight" yet, but I can't wait.

RIP Heath Ledger. He was more than just an amazing actor.

7 comments:

JJ said...

I absolutely loved the movie "10 things I hate about you" I can watch it over and over.


I too was deeply saddened by Heath's death and wish his daughter knows, how much joy her father brought to many people's lives.

Luv a Heath!!

Adrianne Miller said...

He was a hot hotness! I was sad that hot Heath died too. I loved him! We are seeing Batman on Saturday and I can't wait!

JBSaxman said...

Heath's performance in The Dark Knight is such that is worthy of his last performance. It is unfortunate that it is also the role that ultimately killed him.

For those who have not yet seen it, prepare for a role in which you will not recognize Heath. I still can't believe it was him. He didn't sound or look anything like himself in the movie.

donangelo said...

I feel as a born again christian,that role as joker was all wrong for himm.because heath was fresh out of the cradle.and heath was really too young mentally and emotionally to play such a mature role.don't get me wrong I pray that he was a mature guy in reality.but even jack nicholson said he warned heath,and told him not to play that role.because it could really have a ripple effect on his health.but I also pray above all things that heath was a born again christian who had recieved Jesus Christ as his own personal lord and savior, so that he will be in heaven now that this life is over.because what we do for Jesus Christ is the only thing that is going to matter at the end of the day.

Monroe said...

I'm surprised that you've never been told before
That you're lovely and you're perfect
And that somebody wants you

Anonymous said...

degenerateelite.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading degenerateelite.blogspot.com every day.
instant cash loans
payday advance

Anonymous said...

Hello readers
Do not miss your chance to get a free ipad. Visit http://bit.ly/cmmVr7