Monday, February 26, 2007

And the Oscar went to.... ?????

I used to be obsessed with the Oscars. I mean really. I saw as many nominated movies as possible, I would fill out my own ballots, and on the day of the show I would start watching the E network first thing in the morning to watch a history of the fashions, to the early preview of the red carpet, then I'd watch the show. The ENTIRE thing. Commercials, scientific awards, and all. This was my thing. This was my superbowl. And, I never wanted to host or go to an Oscars party, because it would interfere with my abitlity to actually pay attention. Just give me my TV and a comfy couch and leave me alone, you know?

I have only seen one move in the theater in the past year, and that was Borat. I don't even know if it ended up being nominated for anything? That's besides the point. I would have made no effort to watch the show this year, except that Ellen Degenerous was hosting, and I love that woman with every fiber of my being. She and Steve Martin have officially replaced Billy Crystal and Whoopi Goldberg as the Oscar gods, in my mind.

So last night I decided to watch even if I didn't know any of the movies, and was glad I did. Ellen did not disappoint at all. And I loved that they had plenty of musical and dance numbers. They tried cutting that out of the Oscars a few years ago, and it totally ruined it, IMO. Then again, I think that life would be better in general if it was more like a broadway show where people break out into singing and dancing at a whim, don't you?

I only saw about an hour of it, then I got a phone call from a friend, and ended up talking for 2 hours. I don't feel bad about missing the Oscars.

And today, I have strep throat. Bah. Give me sympathy or my feelings will be hurt.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Christy . . . so sorry about the strep throat. If I lived in your neck of the woods I'd stop by with some chicken soup or ice cream (or both!).

I watched a bit of the Oscars, and thought Ellen did a great job. I went to bed about halfway through. It wasn't thrilling enough to make me feel like giving up my sleep.

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Sympathy coming your way! Feel better!

Randy said...

Sorry 'bout the strep.

Borat was nominated for best adapted screenplay, I think, and it lost to The Departed. Fuckin' A! Marty finally got his Oscar.

Ellen was okay as host, but, IMHO, Jon Stewart was the best host ever last year. He totally skewered Hollywood, and, the less they laughed, the sharper his jokes got. It was really funny.

Anonymous said...

Oh Christy, I'm sorry you're not feeling well! I was thinking about you last night as I was watching. I even thought about seeing if you were available to chat...but then I remembered......I didn't want to be trying that during the Oscars! So I didn't...

Maybe we can chat later.....but SOON!

Liseysmom said...

Oooh, strep is the worst - you totally have my sympathy!!

Michelle said...

So sorry you are feeling bad...I have a house full of sickies at the moment too...and I'm finally feeling good!! WEIRD!!

I am the same about the Oscars...I used to be SO into them, but now I don't really care. I watch the pre-shows like crazy to see how everyone dressed, then usually the first ten minutes so I can see how the host opens the show, but then I'm over it.

Last night Kevin and I turned it off once it went to the first award and watched one of the nominated movies...the Departed...and wished we didn't. I don't know...Scorsese's movies are just NOT our cup of tea, I guess. As soon as it ended and we turned it back to regular t.v. we see it winning...it was a little weird.

Rebecca said...

Sympathy, tenderness, strangers to my life; they are there, in his face.

Hey, you said you like musicals. Once I typed 'sympathy' that's all I could think of.

But, yeah, sympathy, sympathy, sympathy!

I recorded the last half of the Oscars and watched it yesterday. Ellen rocks. I didn't know Jon Stewart hosted last year - I'm sorry I missed that! But, again, Ellen rocks. She was hiLARious.

I am obsessed with the summer Olympics. People do not understand the magnitude of my obsession until they see it, firsthand. I am GLUED to the TV. I watch the shotput competition. Not kidding. I don't watch ANY sports, EVER, except for the summer Olympics. What is THAT about? I have no idea.

That has nothing to do with anything except that, oh! Hello! An excuse to talk about myself!*

*See "Rebeccacentric" in the New Science.

Ros said...

You got it! Sympathy coming your way.

Anonymous said...

No sympathy. Get a TiVo.

Anonymous said...

Here... drink THIS.

Sideon said...

Hot tea: lemon zinger or orange zest work wonders.

Hot showers.

Massage. It's called detox.

love Love LOVE Ellen. We are twinners, except for the anatomical differences. And I don't have strep. (knock on a woodie)

Hugs!

from the ashes said...

I watch the oscars every year too. DH doesn't like them, so this year I accepted an invitation from my boss to attend her annual oscar party. It was fun! Sangria and yummy dinner, cool, cool people to hang out with.

Gotta love it.

And I'm so happy that little miss sunshine got an award. I loved that show! We were laughing our asses off at the stripping scene.

And sorry about your strep. Get well. Cyber hugs.