Friday, April 18, 2008

Health and blah blah blah

Here it is, my third update, and an entire month into this new "lifestyle" of mine. My goals:

  • Park in the farthest parking spot away: Check
  • Go on an elevator strike: uh-huh. Well, in the past month, I've taken the elevator 3 times up, one time down. The three times going up were because I was carrying some things that were difficult to balance, and the one time going down, I wanted to gossip with a co-worker who has a roller bag for their laptop.
  • Drink a minimum of 64 ounces of water a day: Most of the time. Not so good on the weekends.
  • Take a daily multi-vitamin: Yep!
  • Walk or jog on the weekends: Sometimes.
  • Go to the gym 5 days a week: Fo' Sho!
  • Take up tennis: Not yet. Damn weather and deadlines.

This post isn't going to be my typical, rosey, YAY ME! post. I'm actually feeling quite discouraged today. Here it is, a month into this, and I can't tell any difference in my body. I know, it's only a month. But I was hoping to see *some* results by now. I wasn't expecting a miracle, but I was hoping that my clothes would at least feel a little bit more loose. Not so. I no longer have any pain in my arms and legs when I work out, which makes me think that I need to do something else to shock my system, or kick it up a notch with the weights or reps. I think this is the point where people start to give up on their plans, and I can see why it's a temptation. But I'm not going to, at the very least, my mood and energy levels are up. And I'm certainly not hurting anything by trying.

I'll end this post on an embarrassing note, feel free to laugh. Earlier this week, I managed to get a girl that I work with, to go work out with me. When we were done with the normal routine, we asked the on-site personal trainer for some suggestions on what to do for the back of our thigh's and our butts, without machines. Stuff we can do at home. She showed us how to hold either free-weightsr or a weight bar close to our bodies, slowly bend all the way down and touch our toes, then slowly stand up again. This is supposed to be awesome for that area, and you don't feel like you're really working it, until the next morning.

So we go out in the hall right outside the fitness center (Remember, this is inside the building that I work in, although away from the busy work areas) and the girl I work with asks me "Now what exactly did she tell us to dot?" So I demonstrate, pretending to hold weights in my hands, and bend over to touch my toes. When I was fully bent over, I hear a "Hmmmm" behind me, and I stand up to see a former co-worker of mine, a man. A single man. A single, very attractive (but too young for me) man. With a bright red face I explained to him what I was doing. He laughs and says "Thank you for the demonstration".

It couldn't have been someone that I didn't know and wouldn't recognize if I saw him again, it had to be someone who knows me quite well.

In addition to my weekly healthy check-ins, perhaps I should add weekly embarrassing stories?

4 comments:

JulieAnn said...

He liked what he saw....take it for what it's meant--a compliment!

Unknown said...

Christy, I've been discouraged lately too, (and have actually slacked off this entire week because of a cold.)

How long does it take to see results anyway??

Anonymous said...

I like embarrassing stories. :-)

Christy said...

Julieann- Thanks chica! ;-)

Kimberly- YAY!! You're here, thanks for visiting! Sorry to hear about your cold. I have no idea how long it takes. I'll let you know when I find out. You know, it's your fault that I decided to be healthy.

Wry- hehe. Me too, but they're so much better when I hear them from someone other than me!