Friday, April 04, 2008

Healthy Lifestyle Check-In

My first weekly update!

So far, everything is going great. I am still highly motivated to continue on. I haven't necessarily seen changes to my body, but definitely my over-all mood and energy have increased. I used to have at least 3 cups of coffee every morning (black, no cream or sugar), and now I only need one, if that. The greatest joy, however, is when people tell me that I've motivated and encouraged them. I'm quite vocal about my changes to those who surround me. It keeps me honest... it's easier to avoid the afternoon diet coke addiction I used to have, when those around me know I've decided to do without.

The changes I made have been very easy to adapt to, as I've introduced them gradually, and with babysteps. I started by taking the stairs, going on an elevator strike. I'm happy to report that I've not stepped foot in the elevator in a month. Even when I walk with people who prefer the elevator, I say "See you up there!" and head off. Then I started drinking a minimum 64 ounces of water a day. This is not hard for me, I actually like the taste of water-- I know some people really struggle with it. Then I began to park as far away from the front door to my building. I work in a huge building with a large parking lot, so this is definitely beneficial. I kind of watch what I eat, I figure a more strict diet will come later. For now, if I want some pizza or chips, I have them. But I think about it before I eat it, and decide if I really want it. But check me out -!- I actually turned down free girlscout cookes! (A feat never before accomplished!) I wasn't in the mood.

I've successfully worked out at the gym 5 days a week, and doing some walking or jogging on the weekends (nothing too strenuous, but it's something). Next week, I'm going to start playing Tennis once a week with a co-worker. I hope to make that part of my regular schedule in my new lifestyle.

These are my baby steps. They've been small, but I'm a heckuva lot higher on the staircase to health than I was a month ago.

Oh- one more thing... the day I declared my elevator strike, my plan was just to do it just for a day. I haven't looked back. I encourage everyone to do just one thing, start small. And report on my blog, if you'd like! :)

5 comments:

MattMan said...

I've done the elevator strike thing off an on for several years. Fortunately I'm "on" right now. I have had issues in the past with getting sore knees if I overdo it, though, so I decided it would be ok if I disallow myself from doing it more than once per day (I climb up 5 floors, 24 stairs per floor, taken 2-at-a-time). That is until I get enough motivation to hit the weights and properly build back up some muscles to handle more. Eventually I should be able to make the elevator strike permanent, no matter how many times per day.

Since I have a tendency to go too gung-ho too fast, this was a great compromise for me and has allowed me to stick to it, without pain and subsequent discouragement.

Now if I could just start up the running habit again that I was forced to stop several years ago (again, because of the gung-ho problem) after incurring a stress fracture from stupidly ignoring the warnings about how much is appropriate to add to the run repertoire per week (running 4 days per week, including a 2 hour long run every Saturday, within the first year of taking up running, is idiotic -- don't do that, lol).

Both of those problems could be solved by strength training and a more realistic ramp-up plan, I think, so I'm looking for some way to incorporate that into my single dad schedule.

I don't know about the other readers, but I'd be interested to know how you went from nothing (I'm assuming you weren't doing any of this before?) to a trip to the gym 5 days a week.

Christy said...

Hey Matt-

Five flights? wow! I have 3 flights of 24 stairs each, and that is enough. I'd really struggle with the five flights. Way to go!

I hear you on the gung-ho thing. I've BTDT.

As far as the gym? It's easy for me. My employer has one in the builing, and it's only one flight down. We also have a personal trainer on staff. I eat my lunch at my desk and then use my break time to work out. I have it pretty easy, and am ashamed of myself for not taking advantage of it sooner.

This time, there really is something different about me. I'm more motivated and encouraged than ever. Knowing I've got to post about it weekly (personal goal) helps keep me honest.

MattMan said...

Well, as long as we're giving confessions of shame -- I also have a fitness center on-site at work, and have been a member there for years, even when I was having to pay for it (it's now free, but reduced personal services).

So, it couldn't possibly be more convenient, yet it's still difficult to work into the schedule. I've done it before, but I was married back then (very unhappily, I might add, and loved a good excuse to stay away from home longer).

Since my divorce, I fought hard to get an extra-favorable visitation schedule with my kids (about the extent of a "win" with the biased courts here), but it was not without price. Let's just say that to make school pickup & drop off schedules, I have to have a very understanding manager, and put in some serious overtime on the days I don't get the kids.

I know it's still possible, but I have yet to find a way to do it in such a way that I'll stick with it and not simply get burned out the first week of trying a hellish schedule to do it.

Those who scoff at the time requirements don't understand fully the extent of what it requires. It's not just a 30 minute quickie with the iron. You have to prepare workout clothes each day you'll be working out, you have to plan on changing clothes, you have to plan for shower time, then there may be waiting time on the machines. Much of this depends on when you workout, of course. First thing in the morning saves 1 change and 1 shower (because you dress into workout clothes, then shower at the gym and change into work clothes there). This requires serious morning person mode, though, which is difficult. :) I've done it, so I know it can be done, I'm just sayin.

Lunchtime workouts can be ok, except that's a very popular time, especially at a work fitness center. So, you factor changing clothes twice, and two showers (unless you skip the before-work shower, which may or may not work), and you have to factor wait times for machines.

After-work workouts can work too, depending on the usage of the gym. Still have the double-change and double-shower issues with them though. You could probably skip the change and shower afterward sometimes, but then you risk stinking up your house if you make a habit of coming home like that. If the sweat dries pretty quickly, there isn't much of a smell issue, but 3/4 of the year around here would make that impossible.

So, the only reasonable possibility I see is for the early bird routine. With the visitation schedule, that will simply not work for 1-2 of my weekdays, depending on which week it is, but I guess I just have to accept that as the reality and try to mentally work past that to see if I can get motivated for what is possible instead of fretting over what isn't possible.

Any other ideas are welcome. :)

minijonb said...

wow! congrats on this to you!!! i need to kick myself in the pants and get moving on a similar project.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.