Monday, January 07, 2008

Mormon Angst dream

Paging Dr. Randy Dumpster. Dr. Dumpster, please reply to this post, patient needs your input. Thank you.

I took a pill that was prescribed to me for sleeping, last night. I don't take them every night, but needed one last night. Usually when I take these pills, I have very strange dreams. Last night was no exception.

My dream was set in the present day. Jer and I were still going to church, and putting up a facade of still being married. We looked exactly how we do now (we both look significantly less mormon than we did back then), and we were assigned to speak in sacrament meeting. For some reason, hymns played a big part of the dream. In the real world, 3 hymns are sung in sacrament meeting. In my dream, there were 6 (two in a row, each time).

Jeremy spoke first, and I don't remember what he spoke about. Then it was my turn, and my assigned topic was Redemption. The first part of my talk was a bunch of jibber jabber, probably stuff I copied directly from the ensign or a GA talk or something. Then I incorporated lines of a hymn into my talk, and in my dream, it was #286. I have no idea what that is in real life. But in my dream, it was one of those hymns with many, many lines, that was never sung in sacrament meeting, and nobody knew it. There were so many lines to it, that the words started wrapping around the empty spaces of the page. I was trying to read those, couldn't quite see the words, and when I could, I couldn't pronounce the words, they were too big. I felt stupid. I laughed at myself, looked at the congregation, and no one else found humour in my idiocy. So I closed the talk by saying "My topic is redemption. I think redemption is a very personal thing, and each person needs to look into themselves and figure out what they need to do to make everything right for themselves." Immediately followed by the standard closing, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

The people looked shocked. I looked over to Jeremy to see his reaction, but he wasn't there. I went out into the foyer, and a girl that I worked with many years ago, said "Hey Christy, Jeremy wanted me to tell you that he can't use his phone right now, but he got a ride home with my friend, and she took him back to her place that is downtown SLC, and he's just going to spend the rest of the day and night there."

I was surprisingly upset by this. I expected that he would go home with the girls and me, we'd have dinner together, and he'd go back to his place. So I tried to call him on his cell phone, and there was a message saying "The person you are trying to call has used their alloted time for this month. Please try back again next month." Then the girl he went home with called me, just to make sure I got the message of where he was. I asked to speak to him. I said "Are you really spending the entire day and night at the house of this girl you just met?" and he responded "Yeah, why shouldn't I? We're not married anymore."

That's all I can remember. I specifically want Randy's analysis, but I'm open to analysis from everyone else! Randy- this may or may not help you. I watched episodes 4&5 of Dexter yesterday.

Preparing a talk for sacrament meeting is equally excruciating, whether I'm asleep or awake.

No comments: