Friday, November 03, 2006

Fear of Flying

I leave for my business trip on Sunday. I'm freaking out, just a little, over the flight. I used to love flying. I LOVED flying. I've been flying my entire life. A few years ago my husband and I took a trip to Disneyworld, and on the way back, we hit some really bad turbulence. I realized, now that I have kids, I have too much to live for. Ever since then, flying has been terrifying for me. Last summer I took 2 xanax before boarding a cross country flight, and was still on edge the entire time. I've been thinking about my upcoming flight while at work today, and it's making me forget what I'm doing or I'll leave things in the wrong places, because I'm more focused on breathing and not passing out.

That being said, my super amazingly gorgeous fantastic intelligent friend Shannon (a woman who can really make my head turn...) told me about EFT therapy. Shannon said that it's worked wonders for her, and apparently can be used for several different needs. I think I'll try it out this weekend.

A few years ago, I would have simply prayed, thinking that if I were to die then it must be God's will. I always felt like that was a slap in the face.

11 comments:

Bishop Rick said...

Once I flew on a plane and had my seat changed, which really pissed me off. Then the plane crashed and I was the only survivor. I was still pissed because they hadn't served lunch yet.

Anonymous said...

I can't seem to leave a comment in your latest post, so here I am.

I love hearing about your sweet girlies. Do you have a history of twins in your family?

Anonymous said...

Did you take down your last post or I am crazy?

Anonymous said...

You're not crazy, the cute wee girlies are gone...?

Anyhoo, Christy, have a GREAT time in the best city in the world!!!

XO

Christy said...

crap, blogger musta hiccuped last night and today. I'm just glad comments are back! I'll go work on my last post again.

Anonymous said...

I tried four--FOUR--times to comment on this post last night. Every single time it REJECTED me.

It still stings a little.


(Plus the post about the twins wasn't there last night when I looked. And it was late...)

Christy said...

belaja, I understand the feeling of rejection.

So you tried to post to me four times. What were you gonna say? If you don't tell me, I'll feel rejected.

Anonymous said...

I was going to say the following:

1) There might be some interesting metaphors in your phobia. (I know my fears are often metaphorical). Or not. ;)

2) I know such phobias are tough to overcome because it is sometimes coming out of those sort of "metaphoric" places rather than something you can directly reason.

3) A member of my family (not my sisters) has this same fear, developed in somewhat the way you did. This person refuses to fly anymore--even taking xanax--and her life is somewhat constricted as a result.

4)And I think you are a gutsy chick for confronting it head on!

Hope you have a great flight and a great time in NYC...

That's all I was gonna say.

(Oh, yeah, and have you tried the technique Shannon suggested and what do you think? I just browsed the website a little.)

Anonymous said...

Just remember, statistically it's much safer to fly in a plane then drive in a car..

Hey, I think a "little" turbulence is fun.. Kind of like a ride at the park.

Anonymous said...

Christy, I'm so glad you faced your fear and came out. It was so great to finally meet you in person!

Christy said...

Thanks Bel, Rob, and Meg. I'm so glad I faced my fear, too. From the ages of 23 until about 28, I allowed my fears to completely control my life. Seriously, my fears dictated what I would allow myself to do for too long. I still have fears, but I refuse to let them have that kind of control, ever again.

Meg, I am SO glad I got to meet you, too! Definitely a major highlight of my trip and one that I will be blogging about later!