Saturday, November 18, 2006

Happy 5th Birthday to my sweethearts!

Five years ago today my world was changed forever. I had an outrageously high blood pressure, so my OB/GYN insisted on delivering my babies as soon as they were healthy enough to thrive. I was not ready yet-- as much pain and discomfort I had, I loved being pregnant and I did not want it to end. However, my body had grown weary, and it was too dangerous to let it continue. Alexa and Emilie were born on November 18, 2001 at 9:29 and 9:31 AM. Alexa was 6lb 15 oz, Emilie was 5lb 10 oz. There was a weight difference due to a slight case of Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome. I was very lucky that they were as big and healthy as they were. They were born at 35 weeks, 6 days.


I actually asked my OB for a c-section. Baby A was head down and ready to be born, but baby B was breech. I wasn't dialated or effaced at all, and I was told that they could try to induce labor, but chances are it wouldn't happen and I may end up needing a c-section anyway, since baby B was still breech. No way in hell did I want a vaginal birth and a c-section, so I opted for the safe bet.

The epidural didn't take on me, so I had to have a spinal block. When I was in the operating room, my husband was sitting next to me and breathing very heavy... he's somewhat of a medical wimp. I was feeling great on the spinal block, and didn't feel like I needed him there, so I told him to leave, I was fine. I didn't want to worry about my body being cut open and him passing out. He stood at the door and watched while my anesthesiologist stood over me and gave me the play by play details of my daughters being born. "I see the first head... she has curly blonde hair! I see the second head... and she has curly blonde hair too!" Here they are, a few hours after birth (sorry the picture is small... all of my pictures are in storage right now and this is the best I could come up with):




After they were born, we became a freak show, and I can slightly understand what it's like to be a celebrity. We had people visiting us in the hospital, nonstop. We finally had to ask the nurses to not allow any more visitors, because my blood pressure wasn't going down and I wasn't getting any rest. People that I hardly knew wanted to come see the identical babies. Going to the store, restaurant, on a walk... it didn't matter. Complete strangers would see identical babies and come up to me asking me the most personal questions about my family history and fertility. I got used to it for the most part. I still have people who stare at us when I take them places, but we don't mind. The attention is harmless and comments are usually very kind.

Here they are one year ago... I'll post new pics after they're taken:



I'm so lucky to have them. My daughters are the brightest, most intelligent, and downright funny little girls I've ever had the pleasure to know, let alone raise. They are each others best friend, which is exactly what I hoped for when I found out I was pregnant with twin girls.



Here's the cake I made them for their birthday:



As a sidenote, today is also the anniversary of my first date with my husband, we've been together for 11 years. I suppose I should go make out with him or something.

8 comments:

Phoebe said...

Oh, the little heart-breakers. I love BFFs who are also siblings too. Life is good, eh?

Anonymous said...

God, they are just the cutest little girls I have ever seen - and I'm not just saying that. They just look like the human form of happiness. I hope I get to meet them some day!

Happy Birthday, twinners! :-)

And Happy Date-a-versary, Christy and Jer!!

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Your cake is gorgeous! You are an artist! The last cake I ever decorated was an Elmo cake for my stepdaughter, and it took me all day just to try to get the frosting that red, and then it took me even longer to try to get it done. My forearms were sore for a week!

Cute girls, and sweet post.

Regina Filangi said...

I agree with everyone your girls are so beautiful! Happy Birthday to them! You did a great job on the cake. I always buy the store bought decorations for my girls.

And yeah, make your hubby take you out! 11 years is something to celebrate even if it was just your first date!

Christy said...

Thank you everyone!

Phoebe, I love that, too! I always wanted a twin, so I think they're pretty lucky.

Wry- I hope you get to meet them some day, too!

SML- I love cake decorating, I took some classes a year ago and have really enjoyed it. I know that making dark colors is nearly impossible, and it usually ends up making the frosting a little bitter, so I use pastels. I can't stand food that changes my tongue and teeth colors, either, so my daughters will never get a home-made elmo cake even if they really really wanted it. You are a saint! :)

Regina- thank you! We didn't go out last night, we had a slumber party with the girls and watched Cars. The night before though, we had take-out, red wine, and lots of good lovin'.... ;-)

Christy said...

Domo, thank you!! That is so kind of you to say. I can see why people would mistake your oldest 2 for twins.

The only time I was annoyed with the attention of twins was when they were 8 weeks old and we took them to a restaurant for a family party. We weren't able to eat our food because the waiters and waitresses literally sat down next to us to look at the babies and ask us questions about what it was like to have twins. I was like "I'm tired, I'm exhausted, and I want to eat a meal prepared and served by someone else, go away!"

But, I do try to consider the intent of the person, and I know they mean well. We're used to it by now and really don't mind, but I know a lot of twin moms who flip out.

Anonymous said...

I'm a couple days late in my comment, but I want to add to the choruses about how beautiful your girls are! I'll definetely have to meet them at Christmas when I'm in town.

Christy said...

Awww, thanks Meg! I would love for you to meet them, but that may get in the way of our getting drunk together... ;-)