Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Obligatory post on Gratitude

With tomorrow being thanksgiving and all, I figured I'd post something that I'm grateful for today.

I wasn't in the mood to be sappy this morning, but as I was driving to work, I was struck by the beauty of what I saw. This was before 7AM, and the sun was rising. I was headed toward the mountains, and they were black silhouettes against a very clear pale blue sky. It was one of those moments that I was kicking myself for not having a camera, although I doubt I could have really captured that beauty. It is a gorgeous day in Salt Lake City. The weather is unseasonably warm, and I'm in a fabulous mood.

Because Danny Elfman is one of the gods that I worship, I'll post some Oingo Boingo lyrics. These lyrics really have no specific meaning to me, but I can't stop singing the chorus to myself today:

Gratitude

Life's been so good to me
Has it been good to you
Has it been everything
That you expected it to be
Was it as good for you
As it was good for me
And was it everything
That it was all set up to be
(Now is that gratitude)
Now is that gratitude
Or is it really love
Some kind of reality
That fits just like a glove
Now is that gratitude
For everything I've done
Or is it something else
That's got me on the run
In the middle of a big tornado
On the tip of everyone's tongue
In the belly of a giant whale
All the girls just wanna have fun
In the look of a frightened neighbor
In a big warm bed at night
In a broken elevator
In the teeth of a dog that bites
In the middle of a revolution
In the look of a child's face
In the silence of the dinner table
In the stillness of disgrace
(I used to eat little girls I knew
for breakfast
I used to fly high up in the sky
I used to chew up rocks and
spit out gravel
I had a heart as cold as ice)
But when I think of you
And what you've done to me
You took away my hope
You took away my fantasy
I once had lots of pride
The world was in my hands
I lived way at the top
Of castles made of sand
Ooh . . .
I dream of you sometimes
Ooh . . .
I dream of you sometimes
In the middle of a big tornado . . .
Life's been so good to me . . .


Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

6 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Happy Thanksgiving backatcha. I'm looking forward to the time off, if nothing else.

Regina Filangi said...

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Christy said...

Thank you ladies! I'm really looking forward to the time off, too. And the food. And the parties.

Sideon said...

Life is DAMN good if you've got a Boingo song going through your head.

When I'm in a pisser I put on "Just Another Day" and it turns the mood, every time. If it's a really really bad mood, then I might put on the soundtrack that he did for "Nightmare Before Christmas." There's something goofy, dark, but endearing to all of his music.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Christy said...

Sideon, a fellow Boingo lover??? Awesome!! I miss them, but I love that Danny is still working and doing stuff, even if I don't get to see him play live anymore. I went to the farewell tour twice, that man is pure genious! Happy Thanksgiving to you!!

Phoebe said...

Great lyrics!

I miss seeing the Wasatch mountains silhouetted against a sunrise. Fortunately, that has been replaced by seeing a flaming orange and pink sunset in Colorado.

Life is good. Thanks for that reminder.