Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Things like this only happen to me

Sorry for the two posts today. I wanted to blog about a strange phenomenon that only seems to happen to me. Please tell me if you can relate?

Okay, I'm really picky about food. If something grosses me out (which happens easily and frequently), I'll never eat it again. For instance, when I was about 5, one of my sisters stirred up a bowl of strawberry ice cream and told me it was throw up. To this day, I will not eat strawberry ice cream. I've had 2 attempts at eating breakfast burritos, and both times I found a hair in them (cooked at entirely different places). I will never again eat a breakfast burrito.

Today for lunch, I skipped out on going to La Fronterra with some co-workers, and walked to the cafeteria on premis with some others. After getting our food, two of them were talking about their days of fast food and putting dead flies on burgers and such. I said "I've got a weak stomach and can't handle stories like this, I'm going to step out of this conversation." and got to my desk as quickly as possible. I sit down, eat two bites, look down, and see it. A fly. A whole one. In my salad. :(

I took it back to the cafeteria, and the manager offered anything else that I wanted. I told him I lost my appetite for cafeteria food, so he gave me a refund, and I got baked doritos from the vending machine instead.

Ew. I'm still freaking out about it. I'll never have a salad from my cafeteria again. I should have gone to La Fronterra.

11 comments:

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Eeeeeewww. Thank your lucky stars it wasn't a HALF fly sitting there in your salad. Seriously.

Regina Filangi said...

That's pretty gross. I haven't really had that bad of luck with food but I did go a whole year without eating eggs once because of a bad dream I had about them. I won't go into details.

freethoughtguy said...

Hmmm. You either have a phobia or very bad luck with clean food. We won't even talk about what might be in those highly-processed assembly-line Doritos.

Anonymous said...

So I was eating a Frosty in the morgue yesterday....

Anonymous said...

By the way, Rubios (aka Pubio's) puts pubes in their Health-Mex burritos. Bon apetit.

Christy said...

SML- Oh, I know! Then I would have really had a problem! hehe

Regina- thanks for sparing me the details! ;-)

Freethinker- I know, I know... it's one thing when it's layed out in front of me, another thing entirely when it's ground up and hidden in the process. I'm better about pretending that way!

Patsy!! Leave it to you to leave comments like that! Where have you been all my life, I've missed you! Please come back often to leave more disgusting comments! :) cheers cheers, thanks a lot!

Randy said...

My wife vomits whenever she eats onions. Her sister once dunked some onions in chocolate, and DW took the bait.

You'll hate me for this. We had a female attorney who was very easily grossed-out. So one day at lunch, I turned to the guy next to me and said, "hey, what are those little black flecks on baked chicken, anyway?" We could see that we had her, so we kept on going and she couldn't eat. Another time, I had a conversation with another female attorney about going out in public with kid spit-up on our shirts. The easily grossed-out lawyer couldn't eat, yet again.

Christy said...

Randy- Ew, just ew! When I was younger, my mom told me that all the little crunchy things in fig newtons were bug bodies, so yep, you guessed it-- I do NOT eat fig newtons!

You wanna know what else grosses me out? Food on the face. When I was feeding my babies solid foods for the first time, it took quite an effort to not gag every time I looked at their rice cereal covered faces. eeeew!

Randy said...

Ooh, ooh! My DW served her mission in the same town where some of her crazy relatives lived. She took an insane companion over to dinner with these crazy relatives, and her uncle took a bb gun, shot a squirrel, and roasted it while they were there. Then there was the time when my mother had sister missionaries over for dinner. My mom was outraged about politics and somehow got to talking about the minute details of abortion techniques. I have no idea how that came up. She didn't notice that the sister mishies weren't eating anything. I was wolfing down food and egging her on. It was funny as hell.

Anonymous said...

Oh. my. god. Just one more thing we have in common. I am SO easily grossed out, and I barf at the drop of a hat. And I *always* am the one to find something completely gross in my food. I once had a fried cockroach featured in my vietnamese food (at a nice restaurant in NYC), and ended up crying at the table whilst trying not to hurl. Meanwhile, my friend went on blithely eating her meal. YUK.

And yeah, I'm sure there's nasty shit in those processed Doritos, but for someone like me, where it's all in my head, if I can't see it, it's not there. :-P

Christy said...

Wry, I always love learning how we're even more alike than originally thought!