Thursday, October 19, 2006

Happy Diwali

Today's post is just going to be some random observations and thoughts that are in my head.

I have a colleague in India sent who me a Happy Diwali email today. The Diwali illuminations with lighted diyas bring the supernatural brightness and joy with the hope of finding light in darkness, achieving knowledge where there is ignorance, and spreading love amidst hatred. Diwali is also known as the Festival of Lights. Light is significant in Hinduism because it signifies goodness. So, during the Festival of Lights, 'deeps', or oil lamps, are burned throughout the day and into the night to ward off darkness and evil. I thought that was fascinating.

I have a co-worker who just found out that her 6 year old son has cancer... AGAIN. The poor boy was diagnosed with brain cancer at the beginning of this year. He had surgery to remove the mass, and two subsequent surgeries to remove scar tissue that was triggering siezures. He went through three months of Chemo in February-April, and was given the free and clear, with only about a 10% chance of it returning. He started getting sick again about a month ago, and with more tests, they found out that the cancer has returned. The Dr's are saying that because it's the second round, it's going to be stronger and have to be fought with more aggression. The last round of chemo about killed him, my co-worker has no idea what this is going to do to him. I hate cancer. I especially hate it when kids get cancer. If god exists, then he/she/it really sucks.

My Halloween costume arrived in the mail yesterday. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to wear it. I'm not going to say what it is because I was sworn to secrecy and some people who read this blog are going to the same party. Let's just say it was a very bad idea to agree to dress as the same thing as my friend. She is going to look HOT. I, on the other hand, am NOT. I think I'll end up wearing an overcoat the whole evening.

I think I'm coming down with a cold. I have a tickle in the back of my throat and my body is starting to ache. Have you ever had your skin hurt? That's how it feels. This isn't supposed to happen, I take vitamin C religiously.

I don't want this to end on a downer. So, happy Diwali! I think I'll get food from the Bombay House to celebrate.

17 comments:

Molly The Mormon said...

Oh, I just love Bombay house. Don't forget to try the new Indian restaurant on Center Street up from Lotus Garden. I can't remember the name, but the food is simply scrumpteous.

Christy, we have so much in common. Would you like to come to my Book of Mormon club?

Ramiumptum,

Molly the Mormon

Christy said...

Center Street... is that in Utah County? 'cuz I don't do Utah County. And I refuse to join a book club with someone who refuses to spell Rameumptom correctly. But hey, thanks for the invite! :)

Sister Mary Lisa said...

Christy, that is so sad about your co-worker's son. The girl who trained me here who quit to be a stay-at-home mom had her 6 yr old die from a really agressive cancer that took over her daughter's bones and body, basically. That would suck so bad, no words do it justice.

Sigh.

La said...

You don't do Utah County?!? Then you don't do ME!! *sob*

Hey I'll Les Mis with you anytime, baby! :)

Christy said...

SML- that breaks my heart, I'm really sorry to hear about that. You're right, words don't do it justice.

La- Correction: I only do Utah County for my kick-ass, bad-ass friends. I don't go there for food. No food is good enough to drag me to Utah County, not even Indian! Oh, and as a funny sidenote, when J and I were dating I took him to Les Mis. It was my 3rd time seeing it, his first. When it was over and we stood up, he turned to me and said "I hated it!". I am not kidding you when I say I nearly broke up with him then and there. We had a BIG fight that night, and I couldn't see myself staying with someone who didn't love Les Mis as much as I did. I saw it two more times after that, but I never took him again!

Good times, good times.

Anonymous said...

How could he hate Les Mis??!!! I bet he hates puppy dogs and ice cream too.

Christy said...

Ros.... I KNOW!! Can you believe it? I married such an insensitive creep.

ha! :)

Bishop Rick said...

Isn't there a Bombay House on University Avenue in Provo? I can't remember the name, but I remember the food...pretty good. Nothing like a good Dahl to mix with Chicken Tikka Masala...Oh and the Naan...Dude I'm hungry.

otsaxuu - hmmm, the Sax went into overtime at the U of U.

Christy said...

Yes, there is a Bombay House on University Avenue in Provo. But as luck would have it, there is also a Bombay House on Parleys Way in SLC. See, I never have to step foot in Provo for delicious Indian food. I love the Chicken Makhani with garlic naan.... mmmmmmmm

Christy said...

Eric- uh oh. I had no idea anyone heard. Erica and I are in serious freakout mode about it... we're both saying "OH HELL NO" but Brandon is all sorts of looking forward to it. I'm thinking we'll impose a 3 shot minimum before we take our coats off, and cameras will be confiscated at the door. We can't have anything in which to blackmail with.

I'm really looking forward to the party though. The party last years was, without a doubt, the wildest party I've ever been to. I beat Grant in the hula hoop contest and I'm hoping to do keep my title. :)

Christy said...

Ugh, I just read my above respone and am horrified by all of my typos. You'll have to pardon me today, I've got a sinus infection and feel like ASS.

Christy said...

shit. Again. I'm going to go hide now.

Anonymous said...

Have you been drinking at work again ;)

Meeeee toooooooo!

Christy said...

but Ros, have you been cranking cat meows on your speakers as loud as they could fucking go?

Anonymous said...

I wanna know what your costume is! Especially since there will be no halloween parties round here.

Also, Happy Diwali! (The consultant I work with is Indian, and he's been telling me about it - it's very cool. His family is having a big Diwali party this weekend in the UK.)

Anonymous said...

I wanna know too. Whisper it to me softly...I promise I won't tell.

Christy said...

Ros... pssst... see the post above this one....