Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The World Is My Oyster Club

Now that I've shared my long and oh-so-boring disaffection story, I thought I'd tell you where I am at now, since my former world has long since crumbled down.

My husband and I joined the DAMU, mostly the AIMOO boards such as NOM and The View From the Foyer. We also joined Cherry, but that's not really part of the DAMU. For those who are unaware, DAMU stands for "DisAffected Mormon Underground". We started posting on the boards extremely anonymously. We used fake names with new email addy's to join. We wanted to remain as undercover as possible. We started getting to know some people, and little by little we began to reveal ourselves more and more. I was finally relaxed about using my real name and picture once I came out to my mom.

After our faith crumbled, and we were over the shocked part, we started our own paths of re-discovery. I won't speak about what happened to my husband as that's his story to tell, so I'll just make this all about me. I started learning who I was, what values I stood for, and what I wanted to accomplish and do with my life. I realized that I had been so lazy for so long, always relying on the magical mystery man in the sky to direct my paths. I no longer had someone to pray to when I was scared to drive in the snow. When my employer announced layoffs for my department, I couldn't assume that it was "his" will. I had to really find myself. And I got through some bad snowstorms, based on a competent car and driving ability. I learned to shine my resume and find another job without dwelling on the negatives (might I add, I got a kick-ass promotion with a lot more money out of the deal... so much for not paying tithing!). It sounds cliche, but I really learned to depend on me. I found strengths that I didn't know existed. I learned that I needed to figure out my own boundaries and comfort levels with many of lifes situations. I no longer had anything telling me what was okay and what was not okay, not even what underwear I had to put on each morning!

While living in Utah does have its drawbacks, it certainly has it's perks as well, more specifically with the local ex-mo's. And the fact that several non local ex-mo's have reasons to visit Utah has been the icing on the cake. I have met the most brilliant, kind, generous, and fun people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. I am amazed at how normal and fascinating these people are. The friendships I've made are authentic and what I always hoped for, but never received in mormon culture.

One of my friends, Brandon, sent out an email to a bunch of the locals one night. Brandon is very philosphical with fantastic deep thoughts, you can't not love Brandon. Brandon closed his email with saying something to the effect of "It's a pleasure to be in this 'World Is My Oyster' club with all of you, the possibilities are endless. Goodnight"

Now I feel mostly recovered (I still have rare bouts of post mormon anger), and in love with life. I try to take advantage of all learning opportunities that I can, and make each moment count. Life is too short to waste on regrets and what ifs.

9 comments:

La said...

Aawww... And THAT is why we love you, Christy!!

My favorite email from Brandon (may have been the same one you mentioned...who knows?) was the one in which he attached "I Will Follow You Into The Dark". Great song...

This has been my most liberating year yet. I only hope the next one will be EVEN BETTER!! :)

Regina Filangi said...

You've come a long way baby! Heehee! I really like the "The World is my Oyster" thought. I feel exactly the same way. I am done with the mormon buffet and can now enjoy the world buffet! So much to choose from now. Life is good!

Randy said...

Hi, Christy. It is both liberating and scary to build a belief system from the inside out. But it's worth it, I think.

I read your disaffection story, and teaching youth gospel doctrine was a turning point for me too. I saw one of the former kids from that class last night at WalMart and told him that, but only after he told me he was an unbeliever too.

Christy said...

La- I loved the song email from Brandon, too. I'm certain your next year will be even better, but there's just something about that new and liberating time, you know? It's the payoff for the initial shock, anger, and sadness we had before.

Regina- indeed, the options are endless. There is no one right way to be. Live your life as you see fit, you'll have no regrets!

Randy- First of all, thanks for reading my blog! I had no idea you were a youth gospel doctrine teacher as well, funny that! Especially considering I've known you for 18 months. Cool that you've been able to talk to one of your former kids about it.

Randy said...

That kid's dad used to be bishop, and he doesn't attend anymore either. I don't what happened with him, but he didn't serve out the usual 5-year term, and, according to people who still attend, he stopped going immediately after he was released. But that liberal bishop was always skating on the edge of acceptability in this town's conservative mormon ward.

I enjoyed teaching the teenagers. I almost never used the manual, except to find what scriptures to discuss. I would read those over, think about them, and write out a list of questions for discussion. There were some smart kids in that class, and they liked the open discussion format.

Anonymous said...

Christy,
Welcome to the club. If only we had fancy name tags and matching bowling shirts.

-Pete

Christy said...

Pete, thanks for stopping by my blog! I've been a fan of yours for... well a couple of weeks now! :) Matching bowling shirts would be SO cool! Let's do it!

Anonymous said...

Or maybe matching underwear... we could sew little marks into them to remind us never to go back to Mormonism... wait a tick...

Christy said...

Eric- I'm not really sure, but I think it's hard to find because the creators wanted it to be. It was originally started as an off-board with people from The Foyer, and it's not really a DAMU board-- mormonism or ex-mormonism is rarely discussed. Jer and I found it soon after we found The Foyer and crashed their party. I've been hanging out there for over a year, but at this point I'm only checking in for PM's. If you chose to post there, look for Hank Rearden. He's the guy that we had the War on Jello party for, so you've met him. He is, without a doubt, the coolest cat on the face of the earth.